Behind the Scenes: Support Agent Job Description
First, let me introduce my self. I’m Christian Ningtyas, a Support Agent at ColorLabs & Company. Together with my partner, Yanni Nurlaela, and the Technical Support Manager, Bina Hutagalung, we provide technical support for every country that our WordPress themes are sold to. Between us, we have over 4 years technical support experience and we are the second largest group at ColorLabs.
Any companies or group should have a public relation division to respond promptly to customer inquiries, this division deals directly with customers either by telephone, electronically, face to face or, like we do, trough e-mail. As we are supporting customers in over 35 different countries on different time zones, the technical support queries we deal with are channeled by email.
ColorLabs & Company is a small, bootstrap company and we try to give the best result we can get out of our tight budget. On this article I am going to share with you what happens behind the curtain, what ColorLabs do in term of support management.
To make our work organized we are using a help-desk ticketing system to manage inquiries from our users. The system allows us to categorize and direct specific help topics to agents, creating an organized workflow and more efficient time spent on support. We categorized ticket based on three types/priority.
Priority #1: Installation Service
Usually the first service a customer needs after purchasing a WordPress theme is an installation service, so this kind of support inquiries will get our first priority. A customer will receive the following service under the Installation Service:
- WordPress installation
- ColorLabs WordPress theme installation including some additional plugins related to the theme features.
- We will make sure if your site is working 100% just like our demo page.
Priority #2: Technical Service
This service includes bug reporting and any other technical problem you found when using our theme. A customer will receive the following service under the Technical Service:
- Bug Fixing and Reporting. Different bugs can show up on the same theme when it is being used by different user. This kind of case, needs more time to find a solution on, but we will handle it as soon as we can. Another case that needs more time than usual is when the bug is also occurred on the theme’s demo site, which means the problem source is our theme. We need to escalate the issue directly to the Developer Team.
- Theme upgrade if possible and needed
- File update if possible and needed
Priority #3: Customization Service
Website owners sometimes feel that the theme they have needs a little bit of custom touch. Here we come into the picture.ColorLabs Support Agent will provide with complete assistance to optimize our WordPress theme and its features according to your specific business needs. But customization work is our last priority because of the following reasons:
- Usually a modification job is not urgent (unlike bugs or installation). So we will get to it after we finished all bug report and installation tickets. If you send us a request for customization and we are haven’t reply it yet, please be patient. We will reply your ticket as soon as we can.
- A Support Agent’s work is not only answering your incoming tickets, we are also the ones who write the Knowledge Base and Theme Documentation. As ColorLabs launch a new WordPress theme every 2 weeks, we have to juggle between customer support and developing the Knowledge Base and Theme Documentation.
- If the user require “massive” customization for theme/website to be completely different from the default design and structure of the theme, (i.e changing the layout position, style customization, or adding functionality), then the project need to be reviewed by the Technical Support Manager, to determine whether the project requires and additional charge or not, before we start working on it.
So that is our work as support agent every day.
We strive to make your experience heads and shoulders above all the rest. The team here have all the tools and expertise to diagnose and remediate any issues that might occur, whether it’s bugs related, function related or even simple modification problems (we’ve seen plenty of these over the years). Our goal is always to resolve your issues as quickly as we can, but if an issue requires an hour or more of our time, we will gladly take the time to make sure things resolved to your satisfaction.
If you are a ColorLabs theme user/subscriber and require support, just send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org. We would love to hear from you.