Before you can fully use the powerful features of Nocturn theme, you need to install Backbone as it parent theme:
- Download and install Backbone theme from your member area. After you finish downloading open your WordPress dashboard → Appearance → Themes → Install, upload your backbone.zip or
- After downloading backbone.zip extract that file into your computer drive then open your FTP using 3rd party software like FileZilla then go to Public HTML → WP-content → themes. Upload your Backbone folder there
There are two ways to install Nocturn theme on your WordPress:
1. Installing via WordPress Dashboard
- Navigate to your WordPress Admin Menu and open Appearance → Themes section
- Switch to Install Themes tab
- Select Upload
- Browse for backbone.zip file on your computer and install it
- Browse for nocturn.zip file on your computer and install it
- Activate Nocturn theme
2. Installing via FTP
- Open your FTP Client Application (example : FileZilla)
- Fill the login details (host, username, and password) then press Quickconnect
- Go to ‘wp-content’ folder
- Go to ‘themes’ folder
- Extract backbone.zip and nocturn.zip files into your local drive, search the current location and upload backbone and nocturn folder
Got an error during installation process? Try the following:
- If you are upgrading the vidio theme via WordPress Admin menu, open your ‘nocturn.zip’, rename the ‘nocturn’ folder before uploading. Eg: nocturn2. Then press Enter
- Make sure if you already got the lastest version of Backbone
- Make sure you are using the latest version of WordPress
- Make sure your hosting is running the latest version of PHP and MySQL. If you don’t know where to check it, you can simply install this plugin
- Try to upload manually via FTP (FileZilla)
- Have a check for your plugin status at WordPress.org if you already using WordPress v 3.4.1
Remove the plugin if the status is “This plugin hasn’t been updated in over 2 years. It may no longer be maintained or supported and may have compatibility issues when used with more recent versions of WordPress.”
Before you can start creating some content these are the first-time settings that you have to do:
- Go to Nocturn dashboard → General Settings
- Message Notification: Nocturn have a feature to displaying a notification message at the top of your site. You can type any HTML tag inside of it too
- Blog Title/Logo: Nocturn able to displaying your own logo or if you don’t have one you can displaying the title instead. The best resolution for logo images is 260 x 60px
- Pagination Style: Nocturn let you choose to displaying the pagination. You can set it as numbers (page navi like) or next/previous (blog like)
- Bredcrumbs: You can choose to displaying breadcrumbs at post or not. Don’t know breadcrumbs yet? Then check this out
Front Page Settings
- Go to Nocturn dashboard → FrontPage Settings
- Sticky Category: Nocturn recognize your sticky category, your sticky category will displayed at the top of the site and you can type the title of it. Don’t know how to make post sticky? Then you should look for ‘sticky post’
- Headline Category: You can choose which post category you want to set at headline section
- Featured Category: You can choose which post categories you want to set as featured category. Featured category will displayed as a group at your front page and you can displaying more than 1 featured category
- Video Category: You can choose which post category you want to set as video category. This section will only displaying the video thumbnail only
- Post Count Headline: You can set how many posts will be displayed at headline section
- Post Count Featured & Video: You can set how many posts will be displayed at featured and video section
- Front Page Ad: You can choose these option enable or disable by click on it. At this option you can also insert any AdSense code or image (the best resolution is 468 x 60px) with a destination url
Like our others theme, Nocturn also can integrated with some social networkings, to set them you have to:
- Go to Nocturn dashboard → Social Networking
- Social Links: Any social networking links you filled that social networkings will active and displayed at sidebar so if you don’t want some social networking appear at your site don’t type anything at that link boxes
- Social Share Buttons: You can also displaying share buttons, buttons available are Facebook Like button, Twitter Share button and Google +1 button. This social share buttons will displayed at your single post
- To set Nocturn subscribe settings please go to Nocturn dashboard → Subscribe Settings
- Subscribe by FeedBurner: If you want to have a subscribers by e-mail you will need to get FeedBurner ID first. This subscribe functions is based on FeedBurner
- Related Post: You can displaying related posts at single post. This related posts is based on category
- Go to Nocturn dashboard → Footer Settings
- Custom Footer: You can enable custom credit or not. If you want to have your own credit you can type any HTML tags here
- To set single ad (displayed at single post page) go to Nocturn dashboard → Single Ad
- You can choose these option enable or disable by click on it. At this option you can also insert any AdSense code or image (the best resolution is 468 x 60px) with a destination url
Creating a Post
Here are several things you must know about our add post feature:
- Item to Show: With this feature you can insert any images or videos like the default WordPress but with different looks.
The differences between the default WordPress and our function are:
- With our function you will need to insert the embed code instead of share code. With embed code you can manipulate the width and height of the video but when you use this feature the video will displayed at the top of your post and if you are using default WordPress you have to insert the share code and place them wherever you want
- Custom image post function is our function and all of our theme collections have it, so if in the next day you want to change the theme from other publisher this image will not displayed
- Custom Ad: At Nocturn dashboard there is a setting for Single Page ad but our team already add custom ad function. With this feature you can choose to display the ad or not, use the default ad that you add at Nocturn dashboard or maybe you custom ad. Custom ad have the same way in use with Single Ad Setting at Nocturn dashboard
- Layout: Backbone family have a feature to have post template. With this template you can manipulate where and how many sidebar you want to display
- Colabs SEO: All of our theme have it’s own SEO embedded with the theme but this feature will automatically disabled if there was any SEO related plugin installed to prevent crash. At post/page our team offer SEO set_Follow (let search engine to follow every links at this post) and SEO set_noIndex (prevent search engine from indexing only this page/post)
- Author: If you have more than 1 author (administrator also an author) you can set who is the author of you post.If you don’t see any feature like this screen shot you have to enable it first.
To enable the features at Add Post page, you can click on ‘screen option’.Second SidebarWhen you create a new post you will see if there was a sidebar icons displayed and also there was a double sidebars icons displayed. If you choose this option your second sidebar will not be displayed. Why? Because by default it is deactivated, to activate it you can go to WordPress dashboard → Appearance → Widget. Add some items to ‘Secondary Sidebar’ and your second sidebar ready to rock.
Creating a Page With Template
Nocturn have several page templates you can use. Please follow the instructions below:
Start with make a new page then have a look for right sidebar at ‘Page Attributes’. You can select Contact Form Template and Sitemap template. Default template is WordPress default page.
All of the templates don’t need any body content so after type the title and select the template you can go on to publish the page.
If you don’t see any feature like this screen shot you have to enable it first.
To enable the features at Add Post page, you can click on ‘screen option’.
To make a post(s) become sticky you will need to go to WordPress dashboard → Posts → All Posts. After going there you will see something like image above. You can hover your mouse to any post and ‘quick edit’ link will appear, you can simply click it and there will be an option ‘make this post sticky’
At single page comment section you will see if there was ‘like’ count. This feature will allow people like the comment, but the one only can like one time only. This feature detect the IP address, the same IP address will not able to like twice.
Think if the post is awesome and want to share it with friends or family but worried if the post already edited? Nocturn have a short-cut feature to print the post to make your life easier!
All of our themes have shortcode feature, this feature contains many useful objects which can make your posts more attractive. To use it you can start from click on ColorLabs icon. And here is the collection of objects we can made:
Nocturn theme supports one slot WordPress Custom Menu. Here are the instructions to set it up:
- Navigate to Appearance → Menus section
- Click on “+” to create a new menu
- Press Save Menu button to register your newly created menu
- Add Pages, Categories or Custom Links as your menu items
- Drag and drop items from your menu to put them in the order you want it to create parent-child menus. Don’t forget to save your modification
- Assign your menu to Theme Locations
Import / Export Settings
At the new ColorLabs theme, we added import / export feature for you who have to manage several sites but want all of it have the same settings. To make it please follow these instructions:
- If you take a look at nocturn.zip you will find dummy content folder which contain 2 files: json and xml file. If your site want to be setted like our demo page you can upload the json file at these option
- Or if you already have one site and want to make or manage the other to have the same settings as you did at your first site you can download the export file (json file) and upload it to your another site then it will have the same settings
Our team also add read me file which you can access from Nocturn → Read Me.
At this file we add several important guides for you to set the site or information about useful plugins and tips to make your site better.