Installing Parasol Theme
There are two ways to install Parasol theme on your WordPress:
1. Installing via WordPress Dashboard
To install the theme via WordPress dashboard, you can go to WordPress Dashboard → Appearance → Themes.
Select upload to uploading the zip file you get from our member page to install the theme.
2. Installing via FTP
After you download the zip file from our member page, extract the file to your PC. Then, access your FTP using any FTP client (for example FileZilla), go to directory: wp-content → themes.
Upload the extracted theme folder (Parasol theme folder) to that directory. After the upload process complete, you can go to WordPress dashboard → Appearance → Themes to activate Parasol theme you just upload.
Got an error during installation process? Try this following action:
- Make sure you are using the latest version of WordPress
- Make sure your hosting is running the latest version of PHP and MySQL
- If installing via WordPress dashboard doesn’t work, try to upload manually via FTP (FileZilla)
- Make sure if your server folder is not protected. The common error message will say: Unable to create directory wp-content/sample-folder/. Is its parent directory writable by the server? (ask your hosting tech. guy if you got this error message)
Got an error during update process?
- Make sure if your hosting provider have cURL feature enabled
- Theme folder (wp-content → themes) CHMOD is 777 or 755
- Make sure if your username/password is correct and active
- Make sure if you have the latest version of framework
- Make sure if your server folder is not protected
- Please try to update your account password at our member page. Make sure if you are not using too much special characters
Parasol is using a new version of our theme panel. This new panel will provide you to the more impressive experience to explore our themes.
There are 4 sub menus inside of it. They are:
Dashboard panel contains a few of settings to customize bordeaux theme. Within this panel you can configure the theme and customize its layout. Just drag and drop the option from the left column into the right column to show all sub-options inside of it.
This feature will help you who just new to WordPress. With this feature you don’t have to think about SEO, we already prepared all of your needs here, but still it is just a basic SEO function.
For you who have already known or maybe expert on WordPress, you can download many SEO plugins which are available at WordPress.org
This feature talking about WordPress v 3.4.1 new feature, Customizer. This function will help you to import/export what you have customize on customizer. To import the customizr settings, you can go to the theme demo page and click on Customizr icon (brush icon).
If there is an update available, update feature will tell you by a notification. You can update your framework and theme automatically but be careful because if your site already modified a lot with theme update function, all of your work will be gone. So please make a back-up files first before updating your theme.
- If you have already updated your framework but you got an empty page (blank page), just refresh your page
- When you are trying to update the theme and there is an error message displayed: this account is illegible, please try to: update using different browser, make sure if the framework is up-to-date, wait for several minutes (5 – 60 minutes) after you got an error message. Also please try to renew your account password at our member page, make sure if you are not using too many special characters
For theme update, make sure that your wp-content folder is not protected and also cURL is enabled at your hosting provider.
Parasol have several page templates which you can use them to improve your blogging experience. To create it, you can follow these instructions below:
- Page Template: Initiator have several page templates that can be used to help you create a great blog. They are:archive, contact, gallery, portfolio, post, sitemap and testimonial template. To create a page with a template on it, type a name for your page, choose a template then publish it
- Template Settings: This settings will be displayed if you choose to create gallery page template. At this option you can choose which category should be displayed on the gallery page. Also you can choose to show how many post(s) at the gallery page
- SEO: You can set the SEO options here individually. You can set SEO_follow (allow search engine to crawl on your post) or SEO_noindex (prevent search engine to crawl on your post). By installing a plugin for SEO, this feature will be automatically deactivate
- Shortcodes: With Parasol theme you can use many useful shortcodes to help you make a great post such as table, buttons, column design, etc.
- item To Show: There are 3 options available:
- None: This is the default value if you are not going to use the other 2 options
- Custom Post Image: Basically custom post image is same as featured image which will not displayed on post content, just as the post thumbnail
- Video Embed Code: To have a video thumbnail displayed, you have to put the video embed code to this text area. Your code should be displayed like this one:
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/PVPt0LN2ssA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Make sure if you only use an embed code from popular video sharing like Youtube or Vimeo (to make sure if the video displayed well on mobile device)
- Post Custom Image: This is our custom featured image. The functionality is the same as featured image. This custom post image will work only with our theme. So, if you are using this feature and change to another theme, your image will not be displayed
- SEO: You can set the SEO options here individually. You can set SEO_follow (allow search engine to crawl on your post) or SEO_noindex (prevent search engine to crawl on your post)
Custom Post Types
Parasol have 2 custom post types that available to be used. They are Brands post type, testimonial post type and portfolio post type.
- Featured Image: If you want to add an image cover for your portfolio post type, you can upload your image as featured image
- Portfolio URL: At this field you can put your portfolio URL, the URL you put should be on full format (http://www.your-site.com). This URL will be displayed at portfolio single page
- Portfolio Type: Same as the ordinary post, portfolio post type also have a category
- Featured Image: If you want to upload the avatar image, you can upload the image as featured image
- Name: At this option you can type the name of the testimonial author
- Company: This is an optional field. At this option you can type the name of the testimonial author company
- URL: At this option you can type the URL of the testimonial author. Make sure if you are putting a full URL (http://www.your-site.com)
- Brand Categories: As same as the ordinary post type, Brands post type also have its own category
- Featured Image: If you want to add some image for your brands, you can upload the image as featured image
- Settings: To modify this options you can go to WordPress dashboard → Parasol → Dashboard → General Settings
- Blog Title/Logo: You can choose to display a logo or your site name from this option
- Custom Favicon: At this option you can upload your own favicon
- Header Custom Logo: If at option #2 you choose to displaying a logo, then at this option you can upload a custom logo that will be displayed at header section
- Footer Custom Logo: At this option you can upload a custom logo that will be displayed at footer section
- Header Left: At this option you can type a custom tagline that will be displayed at header left section (you cannot type HTML code at this field)
- Header Right: At this option you can type a custom tagline that will be displayed at header right section (you can type HTML code at this field)
- Press Trends Tracking: This feature will help us to report if there is a bug detected at theme you are using, and also this feature will tell us how does our client use the theme. There will be not any of your personal information sent to us. This option is optional, but we recomend to enable this option
- Main Layout: At this option you can choose the sidebar position, you can set it to be displayed on left/right. This option will affect all page you have (home page, post page, and single page)
- Disable Responsive: There might be some of you who want to get the same display at PC and also gadget (smart phone, tab). With this feature you can disable the mobile view
Front Page Settings
- Settings: To modify this options you can go to WordPress dashboard → Parasol → Dashboard → Front Page Settings
- Headline Type: At this option you can choose which portfolio type should be displayed at headline section (slider)
- Brand Category: At this option you can choose which brand category should be displayed at brands section
- Front Top Category: At this option you can choose which page should be displayed at front top category section (below the slider)
- Front Middle Left Category: At this option you can choose which page should be displayed at front middle left category (the small three boxes)
- Front Middle Center Category: At this option you can choose which page should be displayed at front middle center category (the small three boxes)
- Front Middle Right Category: At this option you can choose which page should be displayed at front middle right category (the small three boxes)
Social Networking Settings
- Settings: To modify this options you can go to WordPress dashboard → Parasol → Dashboard → Social Networking Settings
- Social URL: At front page you can have social icons displayed. To choose which icon(s) should be displayed, you can put your social url at this option. Left it blank to hide social icon(s)
- Share Buttons: At single post, you can have a social share buttons displayed below the post . By this option you can choose which share buttons should be displayed. You can choose: Facebook like button, Twitter share button, Google +1 button, Pinterest and Linked In button
- Settings: To set this options go to WordPress dashboard → Parasol → Dashboard → Thumbnail Settings
- Enable/Disable Jquery Lightbox Animation: If this option is active, then your thumbnail at front page will have light box effect if clicked
- Featured Images: If this option is active, an image which is set as featured will be displayed as your post/page thumbnail
- Dynamic Resize: If this option is active, your image will dynamically resized, this feature require a PHP version minimum v 5.2 (higher is better)
- Hard Crop: If this option is active, your image will hard cropped, this feature is using timthumb to proceed
- Timthumb Image Resizer: If this option is inactive, all options on timthumb settings will be turned off
- Automatic Thumbnail: By default if option #2 is active, this option will take any image available on your post/page as your post/page thumbnail (first image uploaded on your post/page or featured image), but featured image is priority (if option #2 is active)
- Image on RSS Feed: If this option is active, you will have an image on your RSS feed
- Settings: To modify this option you can go to WordPress dashboard → Parasol → Dashboard → Analytics ID, RSS Feed Settings
- GoSquared Token: To activate GoSquared analytics feature, at this option you have to put your GoSquared token
- Google Analytics: You can also use Google Analytics by inserting your code here
- FeedBurner: If you want to have a RSS link active at your site, then you will need to put your FeedBurner url
- FeedBurner Comments URL: If you want to have the comments at your site available at RSS feed, then you have to put your FeedBurner comments URL at this option
- Settings: To set this options you can go to WordPress dashboard → Parasol → Dashboard → Footer Settings
- Enable/Disable Credit: You can have your own credit by activating this option, after you have activated it, there will be a text box appeared. On this text box you can type your credit, even using HTML tag on it. If you disable this option, our default credit will appear
- Settings: To set this options you can go to WordPress dashboard → Parasol → Dashboard → Contact Form
- Destination E-mail Address: If you already made a contact page template, then at this option you have to put your e-mail address. Any inquiries made at the contact page template will be send to this e-mail address
- Contact Page: At this option you have to point which is your contact page template
This feature is added for them who just new to WordPress, this feature just a simple SEO settings. For the expert or the one who known WordPress well, usually they will search for another SEO plugins which are more powerful.
Go to Parasol → Dashboard → SEO Settings → Page Title. In this section, there are options to set how the title of every page in your website will be displayed. They are:
- Option: To set this option, you can go to WordPress dashboard → Parasol → Dashboard → SEO tab
- Blog Title: Specify a text you want to display as a blog title
- Blog Description: Specify a sentence you want to display as a blog description
- Separator: Specify a character you would like to use as a separator in page title
- Custom Page Titles: Enable or disable this feature on your website. If you enable this option, there are additional options available. They are:
- Homepage Title Layout: You can define the order of the elements on your homepage
- Single Title Layout: You can define the order of the elements on the single title layout
- Page Title Layout: You can define the order of the elements on the page title layout
- Archive Title Layout: You can define the order of the elements on the archive title layout
- Page Number: You can specify a text that precedes page number in page titles
- Page Number Position: You can define the position you want to display the page number on your website
Go to Parasol → Dashboard → SEO Settings → Description Meta.
In this section, there are options to set meta description of your website. They are:
- Homepage Description: There are 3 options available to choose. Each option describes the source where the home page meta description is populated
- Custom Homepage Description: Specify a decription of your homepage
- Single Page/Post Description: There are 3 options available you can choose the source where the single page/post meta description is populated
- Global Post/Page Description: Enable or disable custom meta description on your posts and pages
Go to Parasol → Dashboard → SEO Settings → Keyword Meta.
In this section, there are options to set keyword meta of your website. They are:
- Homepage Keywords: There are 2 options available to choose. Each option describes the source where the homepage meta keywords is populated
- Custom Homepage Keywords: Specify a custom homepage keywords of your website. Separate each keyword using comma
- Single Page/Post Keywords: There are 3 options available you can choose the source where the single page/post meta keywords is populated
- Global Post/Page Keywords: Enable or disable custom meta keywords on your posts and pages
Go to Parasol → Dashboard → SEO Settings → Indexing options. Options available:
- Archive Pages to Index: Select which archive page to be indexed
- Add Follow Meta to Posts and Pages: Enable or disable a feature to add follow meta in all of your posts and pages
Go to Parasol → Dashboard → SEO Settings → Advanced options. There is option available to enable or disable 3rd party plugin data and also there is an option to hide ColorLabs SEO Settings box from the post and page editing screens.
Add Custom Menu
Parasol support to have 1 custom menu, to set custom menu you can go to WordPress dashboard → Appearance → Menus. Then to set it, please follow the instructions below:
- Add/Modify Menu: You can choose to create a new menu group or edit an existing menu group
- Menu Group Name: You can rename or type a title for your custom menu
- Menu Items: You can choose what items should be available on your menu navigation. You can choose a page, post, category, tag or a custom URL
After you create a custom menu group(s), you can choose Manage Location to set where does your menu groups should be displayed. The options available are Main Menu and Footer Menu.
Custom File Editor
Parasol also provide a custom CSS editor, so if you want to modify the looks of your site (CSS customization), you can do it here. If you write your CSS modification here, you will not need to worry to lose your work if there is an update for theme. Your custom.css file will be stored at directory wp-content → uploads
To access this page, you can go to WordPress dashboard → Parasol → Custom File Editor.
Import/Export Theme Settings
If you have to manage 2 or more sites that using the same theme, you can use this import/export settings feature. The output/input file should be a json file, and if you importing the settings from a site to another, your another site will have the same settings like your main site (only work perfectly if both site have the same category, tags and pages).
To access this page, you can go to WordPress dashboard → Parasol → Import/Export Settings
If you want to have the exact content (posts, images, pages, etc.) as our demo page, go to dummy content folder inside the zip file you have. You will got 2 files:
This file will bring all posts, pages, images, etc. (the content) from our demo page. In order to use this file, go to WordPress dashboard → Tools → Import. Choose ‘import from WordPress’ (you will be asked to install an additional plugin to do the import)
This file will bring all configuration made at our demo theme dashboard. In order to use this file, go to Initiator → Import/Export Settings
Front Page Display
To make sure if this theme working as displayed in the demo page, make sure if the front page configuration look alike as the image above.
To configure front page display, you can go to WordPress dashboard → Settings → Reading Settings
Before you start using this theme, make sure if you already configure the permalink settings. To configure it, you can go to WordPress dashboard → Settings → Permalink
By default, the option is set to default. This option will displaying your post/page ID which is not save. Adjust the option to fit your needs as long as the option is not default